Monday, July 2, 2012

The Golden Years


When the occasion arises, I really do enjoy a country train ride and travelling to Bathurst from Sydney gave just that opportunity. It was while pulling into a train station (possibly Katoomba) that I saw this mural celebrating the golden years in the Blue Mountains.

Despite being half obscured by piles of rubble, the mural had a story to tell of a land where settlers' pioneering and adventurous spirit had built a "lucky country".  It is a page from the history books that is well worth preserving.

My contribution to Mural Monday.

11 comments:

  1. Travelling with the 'Southern Cross' must have been a wonderful adventure.

    Please have a good new week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this style of art. The simplification and fluidity of the line is redolent of art deco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even notice the rubble until I started reading, the tones are the same and it all just blended in. Great mural, now I want to see the rest of it :-). Love the "flying" horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well spotted Rae, sounds like you're having a great time..stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that horse will have any trouble leaping over that crevasse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the little pile of rubble in front!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha, i thought the rubble was part of the mural.

    My MONDAY MURAL is here

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a delightful scene to greet you - in spite of the rubble pile in front!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a good thing CDP bloggers also write a description. It took me the longest time to realize the rubble pile was not part of the mural. And that was after I read your text. Sigh. Especially like the curved train running over the arched aqueduct. This style reminds me so much of Midwest regional art of the Depression era, like that of Thomas Hart Benton. It wasn't until I read Joe's comment, that I realized indeed this style has deco elements. Sometimes I just don't see the obvious. Thank goodness learning is life-long. Hopefully the rubble will be removed soon to uncover the rest of this fun image. Thanks for contributing to Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's one heckuva leap of faith that rider on a horse is taking! Cool retro mural.

    ReplyDelete