Tuesday, May 29, 2012

View from Cantonment Hill, Fremantle


Over the weekend, I went exploring in an endeavour to find out what the view would be like from the Old Signal Station that overlooks Fremantle Harbour. I see the Old Signal Station every time I go to Freo and as I pass over the Fremantle Bridge.  

I set out on my journey of discovery with my first find being the Army Museum of Western Australia in Burt Street. I had not ben aware of the existence of this museum. As it was almost the closing time, I left visiting for another day and continued my quest to find the entry to the Signal Station on Cantonment Hill. 

Apparently this land was left to the City of Fremantle in 1892 for the purpose of creating a garden for the public. Later on, it was requisitioned during wartime by the Federal Government before  the undeveloped part - including the Old Signal Station and Tuckfield Oval - was returned to the City of Fremantle in 2010.

So I wonder if the public park is on the city's planning horizon. As you can see the pathway is not that inviting and the Old Signal Station is out of bounds except when special permission is obtained, presumably from the City of Fremantle.

I must admit that with my intention to reach the signal station thwarted by a fence, it was more than a little frustrating to hear voices above me coming from people who obviously knew what to do and had been able to arrange a visit. From what I could see, it looked like a photography group set up to take pics of the harbour as the sun was setting. Jealous? Too right! Being close to the hill summit, I am sure that the view would be worth it. Perhaps next time. 

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps next time Rae .... it's amazing what us photographers learn in the quest for a good capture. I'm sure at sunset from a bit higher up would be magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great place for a hike.

    ReplyDelete