Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Near Rous Head Tonight


I have been wanting to take some early evening shots around Fremantle Ports to practice using different manual settings for night shots without a tripod. So this evening, being earlier than usual to Life Drawing in Freo gave me the window of opportunity to take a detour to Rous Head where the ferry leaves to go to Rottnest Island, a popular holiday spot just off the Perth coastline and click away. 

Although not shown in this shot, it was surprising to see just how many Road Trains were still around taking cargo to and from the port. At night the port also has a mystic that makes for fascinating captures. I'm looking forward to some more night time adventures at Fremantle Ports and next time I definitely will be taking that tripod along.

13 comments:

  1. Awesome! What a beautiful shot Rae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic shot

    i like color sky ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. how wide a country. beautiful. please have a good wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Settings please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a magnificent shot, Rae! Pushes all my buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, please, Rae. Could you let us know the settings, please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann/Julie, I wanted to take this shot hand held. Eventually I tried the ISO at 6400 and f/5 and at 1/10. The shot was taken in both RAW and JPEG. The RAW was not as vibrant as the JPEG but had more detail. So I decided to use the RAW image here and adjust to the colours of the JPEG using the basic iPhoto processing on my Mac. I will probably post one or two other shots I took on that night but in most cases needed to take several pics to get one without any movement from holding.

    I really do enjoy taking night shots and hope to get out and take more especially now that I am playing around more with fully manual settings to bring improved creativity to my shots.

    Thanks for your comments everyone. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh this is so impressive for a hand held night shot Rae. I've taken note of the above settings, I guess a steady hand is required also. You really do take the best shots around Fremantle, I think you're very in tune with this old city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks. Don't think I've ever tried ISO as high as 6400. Nor can I hand hold at 1/10. I get a bit wobbly. 1/15 seems about my minimum. Well done. Trouble with RAW is you can't use it without processing which is why I still shoot JPG unless its somewhere/something very special that I'll never see again (like Lake Eyre) and I want as much latitude to fix any problems later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even without a tripod, you have captured it so well. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete