Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Taphophile Tragics: Mary MacKillop Place


I first visited Mary MacKillop Place while attending a conference in 2007. More than just a conference, accommodation and hospitality centre, Mary MacKillop Place also has the Memorial Chapel that holds the tomb of Saint Mary MacKillop. This is the heart of the spirituality of the centre. The chapel is beautiful and peaceful and is well worth a visit to take time out from the busyness of everyday living. My visit in 2010 coincided with the weekend of the canonisation of Saint Mary. What a wonderful time it was to be there! It was also when this photo was taken and whilst not shown here there was a stream of people coming to the tomb to pay homage to Saint Mary. The rose on the tomb had been placed by one of the worshippers. 

The museum at Mary MacKilllop Place gives an interesting insight into the life of Mary MacKillop and if you have time to stop, the small cafe always some something to delight. 

If you are interested in reading more about Taphophile Tragics, you can click here

9 comments:

  1. I understand it is a place to contemplate and the chapel looks very peaceful with a nice colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The inscription is an important reminder! I'm a happy traveler and hope to remain so ...for quite awhile!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to see it, I haven't been over there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first introduction to Mary McKillop. The chapel indeed looks quite peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rae, if you've got time for a coffee while you're in Sydney, email me - anndaly@bigpond.com I'm near Town Hall/Hyde Park if you'll be around there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an interesting contribution to this weeks tragics. YOu have a wealth of interesting places you have visited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live so close to North Sydney and really should get over there. I shall add it to my list. The chapel looks so peaceful and calm. Saint Mary was originally interred in Gore Hill Cemetery, also in NOrth Sydney, and there are a number of references to her there.

    I agree with Joan, that you visit some wonderful places, both here in Australia and around the world. I so appreciate your contributions to Taphophile Tragics. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had a wander on a virtual tour - it does look peaceful. And what a life she had.
    I see that there is anew gallery opening next week.

    ReplyDelete