Sunday, August 21, 2011

To the Ancestors of This Land


For me, no visit to Sydney is complete without a walk through the Botanical Gardens usually on the way from my hotel in Surry Hills to Circular Quay. In this case, I was going in the reverse direction from the Quay to the Art Gallery of New South Wales when I took a pathway less followed and came across this installation paying respect to the ancestors of this land. The day had been wet and as the ground was wonderfully muddy, the sculpture was protected by a rope from passers-by who, being  inquisitive, may get too close to the work. This is a glimpse of what is a large installation in the land.

9 comments:

  1. For me, a special memorial, statue, sculpture? What holds the stones together? Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking is such a great way to see a city Rae - the sculpture is unique and I'm sure has many stories behind the installation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sculpture was especially interesting because of the way the stones and the rock held together. As the ground was very slippery and muddy, I didn't fully walk around the sculpture so I only saw a plate that gave a brief background to the sculpture but not much detail. I haven't been able to find information about this piece on the Royal Botanic Gardens website. Perhaps if someone from Sydney comments they may know more about this installation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen that one and I thought I knew the Gardens pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very interesting Rae. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You beat me to it. I've photographed this recently and have been meaning to post some shots. I've just struggled to find some info on the title and artist of this work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an amazing piece of work, all those pebbles, you can see why they encourage people not to touch it, I will definitely have a look at it when I'm in Sydney Rae, great find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim, I glad I'm not the only one who has struggled to get more information on this installation! Even so, look forward to seeing how you have gone about photographing this large work. And as Dianne says, there are no doubt many stories behind the work.

    Like you Ann I had not previously seen this work.

    Grace, it's definitely worth seeing. Luis, thanks also for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have fond memories of the Sydney botanical gardens Rae so thanks for the lovely memories. is there a better location in any city in the world for such gardens? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete