Friday, August 26, 2011

Reminiscing


Talking about camels yesterday started me reminiscing on my long walk in the Simpson Desert. Why did I do it? Well that's a story for another time. Was it an experience worth remembering? Absolutely!

Over my two weeks walking, I became "attached" to one camel in particular Istan, short for Istanbul, but the 'bul' part was no longer hence the name change. Us "cobbers" loaded up the camels each morning. At least Istan did not bite, kick or spit green slime over me and I was relatively "happy", if you could call it that, to dig under his belly and pull the ropes for the pack through. I guess you could almost say that we became friends - well friends of sorts if a knock or two on the head is evidence of affection. The obstinancy of camels is well known. Gary Zeck's artwork reminded me not only of my own colourful desert experiences, but the tenacity and sheer determination, grit and courage of settlers who took on the isloation, flies and the harshness of outback life to explore this vast and amazing country.

14 comments:

  1. This is an amazing photo Rae - are they sandflies on Istan's face?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! Wonderful Rae!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing adventure you must've had. I read a novel once about a lady who travel from the Alice to somewhere in WA. Can't remember it's name, maybe it was about you????

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a remarkable photo Rae... fantastic colour and detail. It also serves to remind me to call the dentist for a teeth cleaning appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely!
    have a nice weekend
    ciao
    Matteo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa ... Your photo really captures the determination of the camel. How it copes with all of those flies I will never know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'My what big teeth you have', what a great shot Rae,your friend Istan is gorgeous. What an unbelievable experience you had, something you won't ever forget!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must have been an experience with a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your comments. As you say Steffe, this certainly was a difference and certainly an experience to remember Grace.

    Dianne and Joe, the flies that you can see here where at times overwhelming. I have never used a fly net before, but out here, could not walk without one!

    Mark, I think that there are a couple of tales about women walking across the desert, one was called I think the camel lady. In my own trip, one of the cameleers was a women who had 3 of the 19 camels and had walked with the camels from Alice Springs almost to Broome, and just to make it challenging, did the walk during December. Amazing grit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The picture is a very cool shot but I would love to take away all flies from this proud animal. Well, a very special experience - possibly once in life (camel's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing
    This fabulous work with us
    Good creations

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes - the flies really seem to be bothering that poor camel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha - what Craig said:-) I'm quite envious of your experience, Rae, it sounds amazing. Great photo too.

    ReplyDelete