Sunday, May 29, 2011

Holy+Kitsch!



When visiting Sydney I usually stay in Surry Hills: close enough to walk to the city, the Art Gallery and Circular Quay and just around the corner from the many cafes and restaurants on Crown Street. The above window caught my attention as we were walking back from dinner as it has been interesting to see the transitions of this shopfront over a period of time. When I arrived back at the hotel, a dance group that also has a venue not far away in Redfern was in full swing in the hotel's restaurant with their own version of the Waltz, The Pride of Erin and many other dances. With the restaurant windows fully open, the joy and fun of the evening spilled out onto the street creating a wonderful sense of community.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rae, it's such a great area Surrey hills hey! My son lives on Bourke Street in one of those big converted warehouses. I love coming over to see him. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fond memories of Surry Hills Rae as I used to visit a close friend who lived there in the 90's now sadly deceased.
    It's pretty much how an inner city suburb should be - a bit quirky with something different and unexpected around every corner.

    ReplyDelete